Saturday, November 30, 2013

Devil's Bridge - Sedona, Arizona


It takes about 4 decent albums or a whole chapter of French lessons on an iPod to make the 108 miles of road pass by on the trip up to Sedona. More specifically, Devils Bridge, which is an amazing hike that ends with a natural bridge overlooking a beautiful red rock Sedona landscape. 
On August 7th this year, I chose to conquer this hike as a sentimental reminder that while I'm turning older every birthday, it's more about how my body actually feels rather than how old someone tells me I am. So I threw an apple and water bottle on the front seat of my car and plugged the auxiliary cord into my iPhone, and set out on my road trip towards Devils Bridge. 

Before I arrived to the town of Sedona, I learned a few basic phrases in French and I decided that honeycrisp apples were the absolute best. As you arrive at the exit for Sedona on the I-17 you are greeted by a plush landscape of picturesque trees and large boulders along a road that looks like it could be in one of those car commercials. In this case - a midsize light blue SUV would be coasting on the sleek black paved road taking smooth twists and turns that look effortless. The color of the car would contrast with the bright blue sky, red landscape, and evergreen trees. Maybe this is where Kia came up with the name for their “Sedona” Minivan.

As I approached the main turnabout in downtown Sedona, I swung to the left and made my way up the main road. What feels like a highway where you can go 65 mph is actually a 40 mph zone with enough cops to keep the town in business as they catch almost any speeder. You pass a McDonald's on the north side of the road, which in fact is the only McDonald's in the world that has arches of a different color than the original gold. The turquoise blue arches match most of the accent colors in Sedona, as the town is well known for it's turquoise jewelry. A few streets west you'll make a right after the Albertson's plaza and make your way up north towards the trailhead. You'll keep driving down a slow winding rode and find yourself at the parking lot for the Devil's Bridge hike. The hike lasts about fifty minutes one way if taken leisurely but if you've had a cup of caffeine before hand twenty-five minutes should do.  Make sure to watch your step and tighten your camera's wristband around your arm and prepare for some beautiful photo opportunities. It’s a mild inclined hike, but if you're not very active it'll most likely have you looking for a few extra breathes. Not only that, but the elevation is much higher than standard so the oxygen is thinner, but much richer and cleaner than many places in the valley. 

I took my time and enjoyed the beautiful sounds of nature. I reminded myself what I was thankful for, what goals I was proud of accomplishing, what I wanted to accomplish in the next year, and even some situations I could have handled differently. Before my thoughts ran out, I found myself staring at the flat top of Devil's Bridge. No matter how many times I see this beautiful spectacle, both fear and awe run over me as it can be a dangerous place but at the same time, it evokes the curiosity out from my inner child. I walked over it, back and forth a few times, and took a moment to inhale the green landscape of the valley below. The view is absolutely breath taking. This is where I sit for the next thirty minutes and breathe in as much air as I can in long deep breathes. A meditation of sorts. I never want to leave but then I remind myself of the approximate two hour drive back and remember that there is someone back at home waiting for me with a piece of birthday cake. I descend back down leaving any negativity on the path, and only bring ambition back with me. I drink about a liter of water when I get back to the car, and then curse myself because I'll probably have to make at least two bathroom stops before I get home. 

If you've never had a chance to make it to Devils Bridge, I highly recommend it. Next time you're in Sedona, or if you're looking for a place to take someone to impress them with, the views of Arizona, Devil's Bridge is definitely the place to be. 







No comments:

Post a Comment