Monday, October 28, 2013

The World's Oldest Zoo - Vienna, Austria


Part One

Among the regal white horses pulling carriages, the polished ivory marble buildings and obviously the tourists, deep in the heart of Vienna, Austria lays the oldest zoo in the world. Before you get there though, you’ll have to embark on a journey through the Schönbrunn and it’s grounds. It’s not that it’s strenuous by any means, its simply jaw dropping and the attention to detail is remarkable. Marked as the summer home for the old royals, this palace has neatly paved gardens that could only have been achieved by someone with OCD. The grass is neatly positioned beside a collection of white rocks that form a path. It’s as if nothing ever grows out of it’s own place and the flowers never bloom any way but up. On the walk from the palace, through the gardens, you walk through a small forest, also paved to perfection. Big leaves on walnut trees have been trimmed and clipped to form an arch, leaving only a sliver of sky to shine through. Although as an adult I am amazed at the parks perfection, my mother tells me when I was a little girl, we would come here on walks everyday and the moment she lost sight of me I was tugging on the tall flowers simply trying to pull them closer than we so I could look them in the face.

Much like the extravagant palace and the magical gardens, the animals at the zoo seem to get a royal treatment as well. There are some zoos that house their animals in depressing cages and others that house them in lackluster enclosures. Vienna on the other hand, built an intricate habitat for every single creature here; therefore I spent about eight hours feeling like I was in the wild. The employees do such a great job of leaving the windows streak free that sometimes I forgot there was even glass between the animals and I. More so than any other zoo I have visited in the world, all of these animals were happy. I didn’t catch a single animal pacing in its cage and many of them were eager to interact. Speaking of interacting, they even have a bat cave that you can walk through with hundreds of bats flying freely. You can’t walk through the cave without being swiped by at least 20 bats. If that sort of thing isn’t for you, there is an option to go around this habitat and continue on your journey.

At many times throughout my visit, I felt as if I was in dozens of countries in the span of  just eight hours. I felt as if I were in the Tibetan mountains with snow leopards or in the South American rainforest with a variety of monkeys swinging freely or chasing butterflies right above your head. The African habitat houses giant leathery rhinos and I never thought I could get that close to a baby elephant. If I reached over far enough, probably doing one of those Pilates stretches, I’d surely be able to touch most of the animals. That’s the thing here in Austria - no one does that. Everyone enters this zoo knowing they paid about 25 Euro to be in a world that’s not their own. As soon as I entered, I knew I was stepping into a world of animals, and I was simply just a fly on their trees, instead of the other way around.

To Be Continued…





No comments:

Post a Comment