Friday, September 13, 2013

The Secret Garden - Białystok Poland


A few miles past the dirt roads on the outskirts of town you can find my secret garden, or as you say in Polish, działka. I don’t know the name of the place or the crossroads, and I couldn’t even give you directions – but put me in a car and I’ll get you there. The car I was in was a stick shift, so I let my aunt take me there.  I pull on the door handle before the car even stops. I should probably close the door behind me but I have a one-track mind. My aunt shakes her head and closes the door; hopefully she won’t bring up my “American ways” up to me after a few beers. Off in the distance you can hear the blades of a lawnmower, hawking grass out like people being spit out of a revolving door. The faint smell of gasoline is even part of this place.  No matter how hard the gasoline fumes try, nothing will cover up the wind whipped, floral filled, warm air being thrown in my face. My memory soaks up this smell and if I could bottle it up and put it on a shelf, I’d be a millionaire. I slip off my worn out, white leather sandals, and slide them back into the car. I won’t need these here.

The weight of the wicker baskets I’m carrying doesn’t slow me down. Fresh baked, sliced rye bread, three pounds of fresh Polish kielbasa, a variety of dark lagers, and a jar of homemade mustard are just a few of the delicacies I will indulge in today. The grass is so fresh and soft, and maybe even a little moist that I feel like I’m walking on clouds, which in turn are steps, and will eventually lead me to heaven. And for me, this place is heaven. Bury me here and let my soul spend eternity running through the fields of flowers.

Even the grass remembers me. It tickles me on the soft arches of my feet as if it’s telling me it’s ready to play. The walk to the gate inflates my anticipation and I’ve forgotten all about the fact that I’m carrying at least twenty pounds of weight between my fingers. The hinges cry out as I open the gate and it’s like I’ve walked into a Van Gogh painting. At least two hundred tawny, over blossomed marigolds stand like soldiers along each side of the path. Although I know where I am going, I always appreciate their long, over extended stems stretching towards the cottage home and it’s big wooden door. Before I can make it to the end of the path, I’ll be greeted by a kaleidoscopic medley of other flowers. Some so polite, that you don’t even need to bend over to smell them. They stand at 5’7, eye level height for me, and we both agree that eating vegetables does make you grow. Around the base of these flowers, is a small patch of green onions, which immediately makes me jealous of the dahlia’s diet.

In front of me is the old, cottage house, which has been around for at least 50 years. My grandparents built it when they were in their early thirties, minus a few necessary repairs; it’s remained exactly the same. The white wooden panels, some which have been faded into more of an eggshell from the sun, go in different directions on the front of the house. The roof is a dull worn out tin, stained in a traditional Polish red. Lined inside each window is a traditional Polish lace curtain, this too, faded and worn out by the sun. The path around the house starts at the front of the door and it ends there too. When you take your first few steps along the path you are greeted by an assembly of patio chairs, a wooden lunch table, and an overused black grill.  Around the back of the house garlic hangs by the bunch from old shoelaces hanging on to nails. Next, you come around to the all glass, paned greenhouse. The greenhouse is overgrown with sun ripened red and yellow tomatoes. The yellow ones are like sunbursts filled with juice and taste best with a dash of paprika. I pick a few, wipe them against my dress, and bite into them as if they were apples. It’s juices immediately run down my chin, drip on my dress, leaving evidence if I ever try to say I’m not guilty of indulging. Across from the greenhouse, velvet-skinned grapes grow in clusters on vines strewn up and down the sidewall of the cottage house. I could live here forever.

I pull the front door open, swatting at a bee or two, and immediately see a weathered arm reach up, with a jar of pickles in it’s grasp, from a hole in the floor. Below the dusty wooden floorboards is a cellar filled with every pickled vegetable or jarred fruit you can think of. My Babcia, Polish for grandma, is ready to showcase everything she has managed to stick into a jar. Each jar of pickles is meticulously lined with dill and fresh garlic bulbs, some even stuffed with curry leaves.  She insists I sample them all and within a few minutes a platter full of pickles is presented in front of me. In the mean time, I am asked to fill up empty wine bottles with water from the well. I will never forget how many times my cousin, Marcin, use to threaten me and tell me I would end up at the bottom of the well if I didn’t give him my share of baked apples with cinnamon and sugar. The well pump looks exactly the same, but this time around it takes a few more pumps than usual to get the water flowing.  Before I’m done, the grill has been lit and the smell of what was last cooked on the grill makes the inside of my cheeks sweat.

I walk around the back of the house and my eye catches a spot on the wall where I once carved my name with my grandpa’s knife. The letters have been smoothed out since I did this ten years ago, but as I run my finger over my name I can hear my childish laughter thawing out the frost that one time I came here in February. This time around the flowers are unreal. I couldn’t even use my imagination to come up with these kinds of plants if I tried.  Silk petals, smooth to the touch, come in every color imaginable. The warmest ambers bleed into sun stroked yellows to create flower you can get lost in. The earth is soft and warm and being barefoot in the rows of sunflowers makes me feel like a young child, in a white linen dress reveling in my innocence. The sun is warm on my face and it gives off just enough rays to send me home with a few more freckles than I came with. Now my freckles match my babcias. My babcia is an older lady who looks doesn’t fear the gaze of others, over a head full of washed out violet hair. Her hands are rough and beat up because she tends to the garden so much, but when she squeezes your hand, her warmth and energy are contagious. With that one touch she immediately melts every strain or wrinkle on your face and has a power that can bring you back down to earth when you’ve floated a bit too high. I fall asleep thinking about how much I am going to miss her when I leave this place.

I am awoken from my nap, on my soft grass blanket, by the smell of charring sausage. I can see an ivory coffee mug filled with chilled Polish beer on the table. Next to it, a small dish with chunks of freshly churned butter slowly melting into a puddle of it’s own - from the heat of sun. I can only imagine how the salty and sweet combination will taste against my lips. A cotton napkin lines the bottom of a small brown basket that holds a loaf of that fresh baked bread and it’s crumbs. None of the plates, cups, or silverware match each other.  They’ve all been abused, some chipped, some with cracks in the ceramic all the way down. They’ve never looked more perfect to me. The drippings from the sausage sizzle as they hit the scorching coals at the bottom of the grill. When my grandma rolls three pieces of kielbasa on my plate, I’m not sure I can even wait until they cool down. I think for a minute maybe a dip in the stone ground mustard might cool them down, but I know better. I’d hate to spoil that first delectable bite by burning the inside of my mouth and not being able to taste anything. Each sausage looks as if it’s ripping through the seams of those fine cuts made by my grandma’s knife. She swears those slashes make the kielbasa cook more thoroughly, therefore making it taste better. I think it’s aesthetically pleasing too.  By the time I’ve eaten everything, there is a puddle of sweat left behind from the kielbasa accompanying faint mustard streaks. I’ve managed to eat at least half a jar of pickles too. I really have no room for dessert and my sundress no longer has any more room for me. I take a deep breath and decide to indulge in my babcias apple tart anyway. 

I always leave here content in more ways than one. The journey to Bialystok, Poland is a long one, but knowing that my secret garden is here would make it worth it, even if I were only here for one day. A total balance of mind, body, and spirit happens here. When you’re here every sense is alive.








No comments:

Post a Comment